Sunday, October 25, 2009

Recuperando de Oktoberfest...

Last night turned out quite differently than expected... Instead of salsa-ing and playing pool at ¨Mushrooms¨a local lounge in the Plaza de Armas of Cusco, Elena and I ran into the volunteers from the German NGO in Urubamba. They were, of course, heading off to the Cusco/Cusqueña (local beer) sponsored Oktoberfest and wanted us to join them. WHAT A SIGHT! The band on stage was in full Andean regalia playing Andean music...not exactly what the Germans were expecting that´s for sure. Eventually the German national anthem came on and I was hoisted up on top of the wooden table with the rest of the volunteers to (pretend, atleast for me) sing and dance to the national anthem of ¨our¨ homeland. We were also being filmed so look out for something on the national news! Hardly. Anyhow, it was quite the fiesta, but Pancho (Franz) kindly explained to me that this is not ACTUALLY what Oktoberfest is like in Munich. Apparently, he´s going to take me there someday... Now, that is an experience I cannot wait to have!

I´m heading back to Urubamba in a few minutes to leave the chaos that envelops every excursion I take into the ex-capital of the Incan empire. I´ll be back in a few weeks to stock up on some US goods...

OH! I found Kraft Macaroni and cheese which I will be cooking for my host family (with some broccoli) so they can try a ¨traditional¨ American dish.

Ciao y besos,
MB

No comments:

Post a Comment